Yes, these are 100% MY lashes without the use of an eyelash curler or mascara. I seriously thought I had crap lashes and people were just being nice when they'd comment on me having nice long lashes. Then my eyebrow aficionado told me about a great service that transformed my lashes in about an hour from flat to fleek (I might hate myself just a little for coming up with that cheesy tagline). These are my lashes, and this is their story.
Warning: extreme close ups of my facial features follow!
I was thrilled with lash extensions until it came to the cost and hassle of the maintenance every few weeks AND not being able to get in a solid eye rub. Once they were off, my lashes were a little damaged; maybe some of it was just in my head, as I have no documented proof, but when the extensions all came off, my lashes were noticeably shorter as well. There are falsies, which plenty of people pull off very well (some not so much), but for the life of me I can't successfully apply those little buggers. Let's face it, by the time I get to the mascara part of my daily beauty routine it's already past the time I was hoping to get out the door. Then there are times and places, like my Saturday morning yoga sesh where it's impractical to even wear mascara. Sweating like a pig when you're bending over trying to get your head between your crotch doesn't exactly mix with eye makeup.
My current solution?
The Lash Lift
(expertly executed by Tatiara at the Public Image Salon)
1) Show up with clean make-up free eyes, lay back in a cozy chair, and get a blanket put over you.
2) Close your eyes for the next hour. Is this sounding easy enough yet?
3) A special little pad is placed on your eyelid, and the eyelashes are essentially glued up onto it. This is the part that I'm told makes or breaks a good lash lift and is the reason you need to find a great technician.
4) A perm solution is placed on the lashes. I happen to love that smell (brings back some childhood nostalgia), but either way it was NOT at all irritating or bothersome.
5) An optional tint can be placed on the lashes to darken the color.
6) Solutions are wiped off, pad removed, and lashes are cleaned.
7) You "wake up like this" without mascara for approximately two months.
Side note: my skin has most definitely been touched up here because I am also undergoing some skin treatments for my brown spots that enhance them before they go away. I'll tell you more about that process another day, but for now we can just pretend I actually have this creamy complexion.
Because I know that's going to be a question. Let this nerdy accountant lay out the math for you. At this salon, the lash lift is between $70-$100, depending if you need tint, and this lasts about two months. Lash extensions cost $250 initially plus $75 per fill about every 3 weeks. It actually doesn't take an accountant to see that you'll spend more in two months on just 2-3 lash fills than you would on the lift.
So what are you waiting for? If you're in the Baltimore area, call Public Image for an appointment with Tatiara. Be sure to tell her it was me who sent you AND consider letting her take a look at your brows. She does custom brow reshaping, brow henna, and brow tinting too.
Yours in retail sharing,